Arsenal's Input To The England Cause
In what has become a tired debate, the 'Arsenal not being English' brigade continue to lambast our club for not supplying any english players for the national team.
Whilst there may be no members of the Arsenal team in the full England squad, Arsenal have of course given the national side Ashley Cole and David Bentley, who have both moved on to pastures new.
But Vital Arsenal forum member ForestHillGooner has looked into exactly what Arsenal do for England throughout the various age groups, and has come up with some interesting stats regarding the breakdown of exactly how many players are supplied to England, throughout the various age levels, and has presented them in easy-to-digest league formats.
In Arsenal's case, the players who represent England are:
But without further ado, over to ForestHillGooner...
I know some people on this forum have already mentioned the contribution of Arsenal to the English Youth System. I wanted to see how the actual stats added up. Below is a table showing all of the Premier League clubs and just how much they are currently providing towards the future of the English Senior Team.
By wingston at 2007-11-20
As you can see there are some surprises in there, not least considering Steven Gerrard's recent comments when in fact Liverpool are joint 17th!
In an attempt to show an unbiased view I have then included the figures for the senior team players to see how this affects the numbers.
By wingston at 2007-11-20
A number of interesting observations;
1. England Senior Team contains no regular Arsenal players and the team underperforms.
2. The stats show that Arsenal is doing more than any other club in the Premiership to contribute new players to refresh the current crop of underperforming players. Remember these new players all play in the much respected Wenger style, which runs through-out all levels at Arsenal.
3. Of Man Utd's 4 Senior players they only developed 1 through their youth systems whilst they purchased the other 3. That home grown player is Wes Brown.
4. Of Chelsea's 5 Senior players they developed 1 (John Terry) through their youth systems.
5. Of T*ttenham's 2 Senior players they developed 0 (zero) through their youth systems.
6. Of Liverpool's 3 Senior players they developed 1 through their youth systems whilst they purchased the other 2. That home grown player is Steven Gerrard.
So I ask why is all this finger pointing exclusively at Arsenal?
Let the informed debate continue...........
Article submitted by ForestHillGooner